FireDog and Chicken Gumbo Recipe
Get a taste of New Orleans cuisine at home with this delicious gumbo! Our FireDog and Chicken Gumbo is made with a seasoned roux, okra, and aromatic vegetables. This authentic recipe is perfect for sharing! Tag @ViennaBeef on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and @ViennaBeefOfficial on TikTok with your creations!
- 2 lb – Boneless Chicken Thighs, ¾” diced
- 2 lb – FireDog Sausage, cut into ¼” coins
- 2 Med. Yellow Onions, coarsely chopped approx. ½”
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper, coarsely chopped approx. diced ½”
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, coarsely chopped approx. diced ½”
- 6 Celery stalks, coarsely chopped approx. diced ¼”
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 6 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 12 oz – Frozen Okra
- 1C – All Purpose Flour
- 1C + 1T – Vegetable Oil (Canola is ok to use as well)
- 1 tsp – Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp File Powder (ok to omit if not available)
- Black Pepper and Salt to taste
- 3 QT Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- In a large pot, on medium-low heat, whisk together the flour and oil to create a roux. Continue to whisk constantly until roux reaches a dark mahogany color. This can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes to achieve but be careful not to burn.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1T oil over medium-high heat and sear sausage in a single layer until browned and set aside. In same skillet sear chicken until medium doneness (careful not to over crowd pan) and set aside.
- Once roux achieves its desired color, add celery, bell peppers, onions and lightly season with salt and pepper. Sauté on medium-high heat until vegetables have softened, approx. 10 minutes. Stir frequently making sure not to burn the vegetables with roux
- Stir in garlic and cayenne and stir for an additional 2 minutes
- Add in the thyme, bay leaves and stock and bring to a simmer for approx. 30-45 min. uncovered, stirring occasionally. Season with salt slightly again.
- Stir in Spicy Polish Sausage, Chicken and Okra for another 30-45 minutes. If fat begins to accumulate on top, be sure to skim and discard.
- Remove from heat and discard thyme stems and bay leaves. Stir in file powder and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve in a bowl with white rice if desired. Adjust heat with hot sauce if needed.