Back in 1952, Isabel & Al Deutch began a little hot dog joint on Devon Avenue in Chicago’s north side. Little did they know they were creating a hot dog icon that would be remembered for over half of a century. Isabel hired many neighborhood kids and was like a second mom to all. Mailmen started and ended their routes there, getting a cup of coffee in the morning and a hot dog in the afternoon. Al was a chemical engineer who gladly worked the stand during the late shift often going past midnight wrapping those Vienna hot dogs and fries together. It was the hangout best remembered for its vitality as a happening little shack and the center of the neighborhood activity for many years. The Ranch, as it was known, is gone now but will always be a part of the north side culture.