Vienna Beef Inducts Martin’s Corner into the Hot Dog Hall of Fame
In the heart of Chicago’s near west side, Richard and Robert Martin opened a neighborhood bar at the corner of 22nd Place and Hoyne back in 1951. That bar, obviously called Martin’s Corner has remained in the family; and in 1985, Robert (Bob) Martin Jr. took over. Bob had grown up in the area and attended church and school at nearby St. Paul’s. He immediately added a small restaurant with homemade food and soup specialties and featuring Vienna Beef hot dogs and polish sausage.
The place has continued to become an important neighborhood icon; owned and operated as a family business for two thirds of a century and carrying a quality food menu for the past thirty years. Bob’s two sisters have also been working along side. Besides good food and drink; Bob Martin has given back to the community in many big ways. From his ‘Heart of Chicago’ charity of raising over a quarter million dollars in scholarships for area kids to working with the police to develop community outreach basketball camps, Martin has been an integral part of the neighborhood and an important neighbor and business operator who cares. The place itself has so much nostalgic charm that in 1985, a scene from the movie ‘The Untouchables’ was filmed there and now thirty years later, a couple of scenes from the popular TV series, ‘Chicago PD’, was filmed there, as well.
It is now Vienna’s turn to acknowledge and thank Robert Martin and his supportive, working family; and Welcome with great pride and distinction, Martin’s Corner into the Vienna Beef Hall of Fame. From all us at Vienna, we wish Martin’s Corner much continued success.