Spicy Vienna Beef Sausage and Apple Cornbread Dressing
Our Spicy Vienna Beef Sausage & Apple Cornbread Dressing is bursting with classic fall flavors featuring our Ditka Hot Beef Polish Sausage, Granny Smith Apples, Cornbread Croutons, Candied Pecans and fresh herbs. This side will steal the show at your Thanksgiving celebration! Tag @ViennaBeef on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and @ViennaBeefOfficial on TikTok with your creations!
- 2.5 lbs – Cornbread Croutons [see recipe]
- (3) – Vienna Beef Ditka Hot Beef Polish Sausage, quartered lengthwise and diced ½” (approx. 1 lb)
- 2 C – Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1.5 C – Apple Cider
- ½ – Stick Unsalted Butter (reserve ¼ stick for buttering pan)
- 4 – Large Eggs
- 2 – Granny Smith Apples, diced ½”
- 2 – Large Cloves of Garlic (or 3 medium)
- 1 C – Yellow Onion, diced ½”
- 1 C – Celery, diced ½”
- 1 C – Candied pecans, rough chopped ½” [see recipe]
- 2 T – Fresh Sage, chopped
- 1 tsp – Fresh Thyme, chopped fine
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large non-stick pan, over medium-high heat, melt ¼ stick butter and sauté onions and celery until just cooked.
- Add garlic and Ditka Hot Beef Polish Sausage and continue to sauté and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add sage, thyme, and sauté for 1 minute. Add stock and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, fold in apples and pecans.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, salt/pepper as desired, and apple cider.
- In a large bowl, place croutons and pour egg/cider mixture onto the croutons and fold carefully trying to keep croutons intact. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Butter a 9” x 13” x 2.5” serving dish and pour in the crouton mixture. If need be, press mixture down firmly and evenly.
- Place dish into oven for 30-45 minutes or until thermometer reads 160 degrees in center and golden brown. Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Cornbread Crouton Ingredients:
- 3 C – Medium ground Cornmeal (eg Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3 C – Buttermilk
- 3 – Large eggs
- 3 tsp – Sugar
- 3 tsp – Salt
- 1 stick – Unsalted butter
- 2 tsp – Baking powder
- 1 tsp – Baking Soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place a non-stick 9” x 13” x 2” pan in for at least 10 minutes while you prepare the cornbread.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- In separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk and eggs together until well incorporated. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk to combine while not over-mixing.
- Place full stick of butter into pan until butter has just melted, being careful not to brown.
- Remove pan from oven, pour cornmeal mixture into pan and place back into oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until edges are golden brown. Alternatively, place a toothpick into the cornbread until it removes cleanly.
- Set aside and let cool for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove cornbread from pan and dice into ¾” cubes.
- Place cubes onto parchment lined sheet pan and toast in oven for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove and allow to cool completely.
Candied Pecan Ingredients:
- 4 T – Light Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp – Salt
- ¼ tsp – Cayenne
- 2 T – Water
- 2 tsp – Cinnamon
- ½ tsp – Vanilla extract
- 2 C – Whole, raw pecan halves
- In a medium, non-stick pan, toast pecans over med-high heat for 2-3 minutes making sure not to burn. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients except pecans together and place into pan and cook until sugar is dissolved mixture begins to bubble, stirring constantly about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add pecans and stir continuously until mixture has completely covered the pecans evenly.
- Place pecans onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper to cool.